Monday, August 27, 2007

My Beautiful Crop

JEM has been suffering from serious allergy problems for about a month now. He's been popping allergy medecine like candy, sniffing Otravin and has a box of Kleenex attached to his hand at all times.

About two weeks ago I was telling him that I'd heard it was a really bad season for ragweed sufferers. We were in the car at the time and as we pulled into the driveway I took a really good look at the weeds we've been cultivating all summer along the edge of the driveway.

Along half the driveway were some bushy looking weeds with lovely little green/yellow bell-like things on the top. For some reason, I still don't know why, I pulled a leaf off one of the bushes and went inside to Google ragweed.

I know basic gardening things, but many, many things are new to me. I knew for instance that we had milkweed growing in the driveway, but the butterflies like it so I left it. There are also morning glories covering the fence that are intertwined with everything else and I haven't liked to pull them down.

Google informed me that JEM and I have successfully grown a huge healthy crop of ragweed right outside our open bedroom window. Poor, poor JEM.

The plants were about three feet high and the crop filled one and a half yard waste bags.

BEFORE


AFTER


Then, just when I thought I'd got it all, I peeked behind the fence that runs alongside the big garage. This ragweed was also about three feet tall (at least):



JEM feels much better now that billions of ragweed particles aren't blowing into our bedroom window every night.

In my defense, I thought ragweed looked like golden rod. It doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment