1. If you tell me I can't do something I will do it, or fail trying to do it.
2. I don't eat asparagus. I've tried, I really prefer not to.
3. I don't eat seafood. There are no allergies involved. I just don't ever want to eat it.
4. I read a lot. A. LOT.
5. I started wearing contact lenses when I was 13.
6. I have never been to Mexico or any South American country. I have been to Florida and Texas.
7. I started rowing in second year university and fell in love with it.
8. JEM and I met at the Winnipeg Rowing Club.
9. I am almost six feet tall.
10. I was a competitive gymnast for many years.
11. I can still do a mean cartwheel and one-handed cartwheel. Some dads at the park challenged me to a cartwheel contest last summer. They had no idea what they were getting in to.
12. I can walk on my hands (not very far but I can do it).
13. Crackers and cheese is my favourite snack.
14. I love, love, love going out for breakfast.
15. I am still friends with several amazing ladies that I've known since elementary and junior high school.
16. When I run down the beach in the summer I pretend I'm Magnum P.I.
17. I don't cry very often at real life.
18. I cry all the time at things on t.v. or in movies, especially at the happy things. This really confuses my kids.
19. Going down the hills on my cross-country skis in the Gatineaus will always scare me.
20. Remember when airplanes served food? I always liked it.
21. I broke the growth plate in my right foot in grade 6. That foot is slightly smaller than the left foot.
22. I broke that foot when I fell off the diving-board pool ladder 3m up and hit the pool deck. I was in Thunder Bay at a dive meet.
23. Having a fine at the library really upsets me.
24. I am almost always on time.
25. I run the same speed now as I did when I was six years old.
26. I was born and raised in Winnipeg.
27. I used to go to water polo practice in high school with my sister but never remember actually playing in a game.
28. I can't wink - at all. Either eye. But I can blink like a champion.
29. Sometimes things are so funny that I start to laugh hysterically. This can go on for quite some time and JEM usually gets really irritated.
30. When I sleep in a tent, even as a grown up, I'm scared a bear is going to come and attack me.
31. I don't nap.
32. There are cow bells on my front doorknob.
33. There are cow bells on my parents' front doorknob because of me. When I was very young I sleep-walked out of my house and ended up about 4 blocks away in front of my best-friend's house. When I woke up a nice, older couple stopped their car and offered me a ride home. It was dark and cold. It freaked my parents out so there have been bells on the front door ever since.
34. I have been running with my dad since I was 5 years old. I still run with my dad when we are together. Now I can keep up with him. My mom taught me how to plumb, plaster and paint. Both my parents pretty much rock the world.
35. I like to bike to a destination, but do not like to bike for exercise.
36. I love the Olympics and will watch every Olympic sporting event that's on t.v. for the duration.
37. I always secretly wanted four kids but only if I had a really big house and a full-time nanny. Be careful what your secretly wish for.
38. I want to own a book store with a fire place but only so I can sit in it by the fire and read all day long.
39. I recently discovered that I don't dislike travel, I only dislike travel with really small children. This is exciting because now I'm looking forward to travelling again.
40. I love my family and friends more than anything else in the world.
Photo by K. Wilker
What forty looks like on me. Toque by Moffsy, earrings by Audra, face by me.