Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ponin's Super Duper Oatmeal Dream Cookies

My sister used to bake these cookies all the time when we both lived at home.

It was not unusual for me to wake up in the morning and find a batch of these oatmeal cookies sitting on the kitchen counter. Many breakfasts consisted of a glass of milk and peanut butter sandwiched between two of these tasty morsels.

Here is her wonderful recipe along with her variations. The whole-wheat flour ones are really good just like she said they'd be - I was skeptical, but she was right.

OATMEAL COOKIES


1 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar (you can use 1 cup of brown sugar and omit the white sugar if you like. I did this and rather liked it)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups of oatmeal (long or quick) - put 2 cups in first, mix and then add more if needed
(I used long oats and got a very different cookie than if you used quick oats. Quick oat cookies are thicker, long oat cookies cook flatter)

Mix everything together and bake at 350 for 10 minutes (soft) or 12 minutes (crunchier).

2 comments:

  1. I'm published! I rule! I am the cookie monstress!!
    Oh...yeah you can use 1/2 a cup of butter in place of the margerine.
    cookies,cookies,cookies start with C!
    yanin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yonin and Darcy you both rule! I made this recipe the other night and it was the most rewarding cookie baking experience I've had in a long time! mmm mmm mmm.

    ReplyDelete